Monday, August 24, 2009

Bourbon Drunken Irishman

The fermentation had completely stopped for the Scottish ale yeast in the primary, so I moved it to the secondary. And just as I thought, there is too much alcohol and too high a starting gravity for the Scottish Ale yeast to completely ferment. It finished at 1.030 already at 8.5% alcohol and a little more to go. So I added some Champagne yeast and that seems to be fermenting its way towards the finish. If I can catch it in time I will stop it around 1.018 and leave it with a touch of sweetness. The final est alc would be about 10.25% (before adding the bourbon soaked oak chips, which already started). Can't wait to try it.

2 comments:

  1. Bourbon? Excellent, although there's something very wrong with the image of an irishman drunk on bourbon.

    You use the bourbon you seasoned your mini-cask with?

    I'm game... Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't use bourbon to season the mini cask, only peated whisky and brandy. But, I did use some of the oak barrel char from the Four Roses barrels we had, and bourbon from the same source.

    ReplyDelete

Please be courteous in your comments. Before commenting think about what you are saying.