Saturday, August 29, 2009

Bourbon Drunken Irishman

The Champagne yeast seemed to start fermenting but didn't do much. I threw in the oak char from Buffalo trace casks that were soaked in bourbon. Let that sit for a week or so and finally decided to bottle/keg it. When sucking it out of the secondary the cloth that was holding the charred wood chips was sucked into the sucker and ripped open, spilling the chips all over the beer. I also measured a FG of 1.027, or about 9% alcohol BEFORE adding all the bourbon. With that I added some water to bring it down to about 1.020 and produce more product.

At the same time I figured that since the conditions in the beer were too crazy for the yeast to survive, I wouldn't be able to bottle condition it. I decided to keg it and use the keg to carbonate it, then bottle half of it from the keg after it was carbonated, a new experiment. I filtered it through a mesh screen as I poured it into the keg to remove all the oak chips, but lots of very small cloudy particulate got in, giving it a cloudy and charred wood taste. Which I also tasted it, its got a shitton of alcohol, lots of bourbon and charred wood, still pretty sweet, a strong ale like taste, I can't get much rye yet, but it tastes great! Can't wait to try it when it's carbonated tomorrow. I'm estimating that the total alcohol is around 11-12% or so. It's pretty crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous in your comments. Before commenting think about what you are saying.